Getting illness compensation from the Department of Energy

The Energy Employees Occupational Illness Compensation Program (EEOICPA) provides benefits for those who have been affected by exposure to radiation or toxic substances while working at the Department of Energy. This blog will summarize the terms of eligibility for compensation from the progress, and how you should move forward if you decide to make a claim.

There are two different categories of compensation under the EEOICPA: Part B and Part E.

Part B

If eligible, affected employees or their survivors will receive a one-off payment up to the sum of $150,000, as well as the full coverage of medical expenses for accepted conditions. It also provides similar compensation terms with up to $50,000 as a lump-sum for those eligible under the Radiation Exposure Compensation Act (RECA) Section 5.

Part E

If eligible for the Part E program requirements, employees or their survivors can get medical costs covered as well as staggered benefit installments up to the total sum of $250,000. This is based on wage loss due to the severity of the impairment and how long this has been an outstanding issue.

If you think that you might be eligible for the Energy Employees Occupational Illness Compensation Program you can read more about the specific eligibility requirements here. The eligibility criteria are, of course, not black and white, and you may have questions that you would like to address with a lawyer. Not only can your attorney help you understand whether you qualify, he or she can also help you understand if you have other legal options available as well.

Source: US Department of labor, "Division of Energy Employees Occupational Illness Compensation (DEEOIC)," accessed July 13, 2017

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information


Law Office of Darrell Thomas Johnson, Jr., LLC
300 Main Street
P.O. Box 1125
Hardeeville, SC 29927

Phone: 843-548-4260
Fax: 843-784-5770
Map & Directions