Getting compensation for radiation exposure

As a worker in the industries of mining, milling, transporting metals or nuclear weapons, you are under a much higher risk than the general population of being exposed to radiation. Although there are many protections in place to prevent exposure to radiation, it unfortunately does occur, and workers become subject to dangerous levels of radiation.

If a person is exposed to high levels of radiation, several illnesses can occur as a result. These can happen several years or even decades down the line. If you have worked with nuclear weapons under the Department of Energy (DOE), whether it was as a full time employee or as a contractor, you have special benefits assigned to you in regard to medical care and compensation for illnesses relating to radiation exposure.

The Radiation Exposure Compensation Act (RECA) was put in place to offer some form of compensation for workers that have suffered from diseases as a result of exposure to radiation from working with the Department of Energy. RECA is for those exposed to radiation during nuclear weapons tests above ground, in uranium mines or mills or when transporting ore.

In order to claim compensation under RECA, you must place a claim at the Department of Labor, even if you have submitted a claim before. Part B in the Act is reserved for those who have already received compensation from the Energy Employees Occupational Illness Compensation Program Act (EEOICPA). If you have any questions about making a claim under RECA, it is advisable to speak with a trusted legal advisor who can assist you.

Source: DOL, "Energy Employees Occupational Illness Compensation Program Act (EEOICPA) and the Radiation Exposure Compensation Act (RECA)," accessed Oct. 06, 2017

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information


Law Office of Darrell Thomas Johnson, Jr., LLC
300 Main Street
P.O. Box 1125
Hardeeville, SC 29927

Phone: 843-548-4260
Fax: 843-784-5770
Map & Directions